The dad of RAF airman Corrie McKeague who vanished four years ago and has never been found says there is “no mystery” surrounding his son’s death.
The 23-year-old serviceman disappeared after touring pubs in Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk, in the early hours of September 24, 2016.
It is feared Corrie may have sheltered in a rubbish bin later collected by a bin lorry and emptied into a dump.
Despite a multi-million pound search operation, which included two landfill sites, the body of the RAF gunner has never been found.
Last week his heartbroken family won a long battle for a formal inquest into the circumstances of his presumed death to be held.
But while his mum Nicola Urquhart, has previously said she struggles to believe her son is dead, Corrie’s dad Martin McKeague has now spoken out and said he has “no doubt” Corrie will be declared “presumed dead”.
Ahead of a short inquest opening on Friday at Suffolk Coroner’s Court, Martin told the Scottish Sun: “There’s no mystery here.
“The evidence points to the bin lorry and Corrie being in the landfill. It’s our belief that’s what happened.
“I have no doubt this judge and jury will sit down and say that Corrie is missing presumed dead. “
It comes after Nicola said last week that the family is “genuinely really pleased” to have finally been able to get an inquest held into Corrie.
She said: “This is not about us trying to apportion blame. It’s about us as a family knowing we have done absolutely everything we can.”
The inquest opening today at Suffolk Coroner’s Court will be followed by a pre-inquest review hearing in early 2021, with the full inquest to follow later in 2021.